Thursday, April 26, 2012

Strathmore online class

One of the reasons I took the Strathmore online class was to learn new techniques and try different painting supplies.  The next step will be to incorporate what I have learned back into my painting method.

New techniques I have learned about:
1) using wax paper for resists (this turned out to be the answer to a problem I was having with another project!).
2) using plastic wrap and wax paper for textures.  This makes really interesting backgrounds as well as being a nice look for larger areas of color in the main painting.
3) using gouache instead of white pigment.

Things I knew how to do but seem to forget:
1) washes (instead of dabs and layers).
2) water color pencils to do an initial sketch.
3) colored inks (I haven't used them in so many years)
4) mixing up what I use and do (it makes the finished product more interesting)

Different supplies:
1) 90 lb paper (I like the 140 lb better, maybe because it holds up better to my sometimes rough brush work).
2) colored pencils
3) gouache
4) masking fluids


No comments:

Post a Comment