Saturday, December 29, 2012

Advancing art class: 6

Not all watercolor pigments are equal.  That is not to say that one is better then another, but they do perform differently, and so your choice of pigments can change a painting.  For my final paintings I used a palette of Winsor & Newton red, yellow, blue, and orange.  These are more transparent pigments then I had been using in the previous paintings.

I re-painted one of the previous classes painting using a this palette.  The difference between the transparent and semi-opaque pigments really standout in the jar.  The most notable other difference is the greens are more blue then olive.

I added glazes over the previously painted still life using this palette to increase the reflections on the copper and brass pitcher.  As I increased the bright reflections I also increased the darkest shadows.  These changes make the pitcher compete with the marble for the center of interest.

No comments:

Post a Comment