Tuesday, May 29, 2012

Advancing art class: 3 value sketch

For my third assignment I picked a photo taken a few years ago on Sapelo Island Georgia.  It was taken just after sun rise, and the light at that time of day is very warm and soft.  The objects almost glow with rich warm color.


For my value sketch, I again used a dark blue pigment which can represent both the lightest and darkest values in the sketch.  The dark reds and greens in this photo made making a value study challenging.  While the colors are distinct, the values of the colors are quite close.  While doing the sketch I noticed how close the  values of the distant trees and shadows of the buoy are.  For the buoy to stand out from the background it needs to have a different value (lighter or darker).


No comments:

Post a Comment