Some of the runes are from a plantation built between 1815 and 1819. They represent nine slave quarters, a two-story plantation house, a ventilated cotton barn, and other outbuildings. There are signs of recent work to shore up some of the buildings, but most of them are slowly falling apart. Rain etches away the tabby blocks and chimneys and walls fall down.
shell, lime and sand is mixed with water and then poured into forms. The resulting walls are very strong and durable.