The Clearing we took a side trip to see Cana Island Lighthouse, one of 10 lighthouses in Door County, northeast of Bailey's Harbor. The steel cladding encases the original 1869 Milwaukee cream brick lighthouse. The lighthouse and associated structures sit on a small island surrounded on three sides by Lake Michigan. The rooms in the attached Keepers House have exhibits and displays that explain what life on the island was like. Excerpts read from the Keepers journal fill the air, describing interesting and dangerous events from the past.
Fresnel lens was hand-crafted by Henry Le Paute in France. The lens previously lit by an incandescent oil vapor burner that used oil (whale, lard or mineral) or kerosene, later an acetylene light was installed. Electrified and automated in 1944, no Keeper is needed today. The current apparatus uses a 500-watt bulb, and can tell when it is burned out and automatically rotate to put a fresh bulb in place.