Thursday, September 17, 2020

Watercolor Journaling kits

I have 2 watercolor journaling kits.  The small kit is designed to carry everywhere; meetings, museums, gardens, restaurants, and traveling by boat, trains or planes.  It contains the minimum items I need for painting:

  • Paper Mate Sharpwriter mechanical pencil
  • One black fine tip permanent ink pens
  • Set of water brushes (3 round and 1 flat)
  • Artists erasers (Factis Artists eraser or Prismacolor kneaded eraser)
  • 2 oz dropper bottle
  • Kleenex packet
  • Small watercolor journal or block (a Moleskin watercolor notebook and watercolor block of postcards are in the photo below)
  • Watercolor travel kit with professional paints (a Van Gough Watercolor Pocket Box is in the photo below)
  • Waterproof clutch I found at the Frist Art Museum in Nashville several years ago.

My large watercolor kit I use for sketch crawls, weekend trips and hiking.  

  • All the items listed above for the small kit
  • 2 oz spray bottle
  • Several Kleenex packets
  • One Copic sepia fine tip permanent ink pen 
  • 6" plastic ruler 
  • 6" plastic triangle
  • X-Acto retractable knife
  • Clear wax crayon
  • Guerrilla painter composition finder
  • Gray scale and value finder
  • Spiral bound Strathmore visual journals 

In addition to the what is needed to paint, this larger kit has space for a water bottle, snack, sunglasses and a hat.  If I will be out in the sun for a long time I also take a three legged folding chair and a portable shade umbrella.   


I purchase many supplies from local art stores, but I also shop on line with the following venders:

No comments:

Post a Comment