Sunday, March 4, 2012

Strathmore online class: lesson 1

I signed up for a Strathmore online watercolor class with Cathy Johnson.  I love Cathy's work and have been looking forward to this class for months.  The first lesson went over techniques of washes and using them to create a journal page.  For this class I am using a Strathmore multi-media journal.  The paper is smoother and absorbs less water then the watercolor journals I have been using.

I was vacillating between using my Koi field watercolor kit or the tube pigments and brushes I have in my larger Plien Air kit.  I am very comfortable with the Koi pigments, and frustrated by the tube pigments.  Comfort over new won out for the first lesson's journal entries.  But I am determined to paint more with my other kit as part of this workshop.

2 comments:

  1. These are beautiful! I really am enjoying the Strathmore classes. I just need to find more time to practice. I have a feeling that watercolor is like piano, if you dont practice, you don't get better.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I find myself thinking about painting more when I am taking a class, even if I don't have much time to paint. I alway wish I had more time to paint.

      Delete